Read the other sections of this guide on Oracle business intelligence and data warehousing:
- Rating ETL tools: Data warehousing expert Ian Abramson provides weighted descriptions of criteria for evaluating ETL tools.
- When managing database environments, integration is key: This tip describes the importance of ETL tools to integration, a key process for managing complex database environments.
- Questions about ETL and business intelligence tools: A reader asks what ETL tool should be used to ETL data from Oracle to Sybase IQ, and what tool should be used for business intelligence.
- Can ETL tools handle complicated business logic?: Ian Abramson answers the question, "We extract/transform/load into our data warehouse using SQR programs. One of the main reasons why we have not purchased an ETL tool is that we have complicated business logic embedded in many of our tables. Can ETL tools handle this?"
- Custom development versus ETL tool: What are the pros and cons of custom development versus an ETL tool?
- Engine-based versus code-generating ETL tools: Ian Abramson addresses the following remarks: "Why would you choose an engine-based ETL tool only? Code-generating tools (like Oracle Warehouse Builder) are supposed to be faster. You may not want a tool that generates legacy code like COBOL for some obvious reasons, but code-generating tools can achieve a much faster load throughout, as the data does not have to go through the engine bottleneck."
- Can you use ETL successfully as part of the process to migrate from OS/390 to Unix or NT?: This expert response discusses the merits of using an ETL tool to migrate data from one server to another.
- A simple way to reorganize a table and release the unused space: This tip offers a simple solution to better manage table space and performance during ETL operations.
Spark promises new platform for ETL