Tom Kyte, author of the new book Expert Oracle Database Architecture: 9i and 10g Programming Techniques and Solutions, fields many questions about Oracle databases and tools through his "Ask Tom" column in Oracle Magazine and at asktom.oracle.com. He finds that the topic of indexes attracts the most questions of all. Here, he provides answers to some of the most frequently asked questions. Some of the answers may seem like common sense, while other answers might surprise you. Suffice it to say, there are lots of myths and misunderstandings surrounding indexes -- here are a few:
- Do nulls and indexes work together?
- Do indexes work on views?
- Should foreign keys be indexed?
- Why isn't my index getting used?
- Myth: Space is never reused in an index
- Myth: Most discriminating elements should be first
Tom Kyte is Vice President of the Core Technologies Group at Oracle and has been using Oracle since 1988.