This SQL script was developed and tested on Oracle 9i but should also work on Oracle 8 versions. It checks each data file for the free space left and how much the file can grow using dba_data_files and dba_free_space. The result is joined with a similar result from dba_temp_files without the dba_free_space values because there aren't any for tempfiles.
SET LINESIZE 250 SET PAGESIZE 150 COLUMN TSNAME FORMAT A11 COLUMN FNAME FORMAT A45 COLUMN TSFREEMEGS FORMAT 9999.00 COLUMN FSIZEMEGS FORMAT 9999.00 COLUMN FMAXMEGS FORMAT 9999.00 COLUMN FDIFFMEGS FORMAT 9999.00 COLUMN TOTFREEMEGS FORMAT 9999.00 BREAK ON TSNAME SKIP 1 COMPUTE SUM LABEL TOTAL OF TSFREEMEGS ON TSNAME COMPUTE SUM LABEL TOTAL OF FDIFFMEGS ON TSNAME COMPUTE SUM LABEL TOTAL OF TOTFREEMEGS ON TSNAME SELECT DATA.TABLESPACE_NAME "TSNAME", NVL(SUM(FREE.BYTES)/1024/1024 ,0) "TSFREEMEGS", DATA.FILE_NAME "FNAME", DATA.BYTES/1024/1024 "FSIZEMEGS", DATA.MAXBYTES/1024/1024 "FMAXMEGS", (DATA.MAXBYTES/1024/1024 - DATA.BYTES/1024/1024) "FDIFFMEGS", NVL((SUM(FREE.BYTES)/1024/1024 + (DATA.MAXBYTES/1024/1024 - DATA.BYTES/1024/1024)),0) "TOTFREEMEGS" FROM DBA_DATA_FILES DATA LEFT OUTER JOIN DBA_FREE_SPACE FREE ON DATA.FILE_ID = FREE.FILE_ID GROUP BY DATA.TABLESPACE_NAME, DATA.FILE_NAME, DATA.BYTES, DATA.MAXBYTES UNION SELECT TABLESPACE_NAME "TSNAME", 0 "TSFREEMEGS", FILE_NAME "FNAME", BYTES/1024/1024 "FSIZEMEGS", MAXBYTES/1024/1024 "FMAXMEGS", (MAXBYTES/1024/1024 - BYTES/1024/1024) "FDIFFMEGS", (MAXBYTES/1024/1024 - BYTES/1024/1024) "TOTFREEMEGS" FROM DBA_TEMP_FILES ;
Michael D. writes: This SQL script was developed and tested on Oracle 9i but should also work on Oracle 8 versions. SQL92 compliant syntax is not available until Oracle 9i. The following lines should be replaced for other versions.
>>FROM DBA_DATA_FILES DATA LEFT OUTER JOIN DBA_FREE_SPACE FREE >>ON DATA.FILE_ID = FREE.FILE_ID FROM DBA_DATA_FILES DATA, DBA_FREE_SPACE FREE WHERE DATA.FILE_ID = FREE.FILE_ID(+)
For More Information
- Feedback: E-mail the editor with your thoughts about this tip.
- More tips: Hundreds of free Oracle tips and scripts.
- Tip contest: Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize -- submit your tip today!
- Ask the Experts: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
- Forums: Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our active forums.
- Best Web Links: Oracle tips, tutorials, and scripts from around the Web.