Could you tell me the redo log internal format? I want to write a Java tool to analyze it.
Why reinvent the wheel? Check out LogMiner functionality already available in 8i. Using LogMiner you can capture the contents of one or multiple redo log files (or archived redo log files) and have their contents stored in a view called v$logmnr_contents. If you look at this view, you'll see the elements that were "mined" from the logs. Check out the Oracle Administrator's Guide documentation for a full description of LogMiner and how it works and can be used.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.