What is SQL tuning?
SQL tuning is the process of ensuring that the SQL statements that an application will issue will run in the fastest possible time. Just like there may be ten different ways for you to drive from work to your house, there may be ten different ways to execute a query. Normally, you are in a hurry to get home so you take the fastest way. Once in a while, you may find a new way that is even faster. You didn't consider this route before because it was not very intuitive. SQL tuning is similar. Tuning SQL statements is finding the fastest route to answer your question, even if that route is not very intuitive.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Oracle guru is waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.