Can I select a particular department's information from an employee table without using the WHERE clause? My employee table contains the following columns: EMPNO, ENAME, DEPTNO, SAL, COMM, HIREDATE
I'm not sure I understand your question. If I do, this sounds like a good place to use a view. Your view could look like this:
CREATE VIEW Department7 AS SELECT EMPNO, ENAME, DEPTNO, SAL, COMM, HIREDATE FROM Employee WHERE DEPTNO = 7
Then, you could select from it without using a where clause:
SELECT * FROM Department7
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the Edtior at firstname.lastname@example.org with your feedback.
- The Best SQL Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have a SQL tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle and SQL
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.