In Oracle for OS/390 ver. 7.3.3, how can I see the log files? The log files are VSAM files, but I'm not able to repro it to a ps file (showing the log files are held). Also suppose the database is in archive mode, how can I get the path where the log files are archived? Suppose somebody has changed a table, where can I get the details of it, like who has changed the table and when?
I don't know of anyway to see inside the redo log files until Oracle 8i and the implementation of Log Miner. Until that time, you'd have to implement your own version of tracking table changes using triggers to capture changes and writing them out to audit tables you create yourself.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.