Can I use the function "distinct" on two fields? I need to retrieve from my database the number of accounts per month, but I don't want to add the accounts that are on the SAME day; same month is fine. Example:
actNumber date ????????? ???? 222 10-jun-00 222 10-jun-00 222 11-jun-00 222 12-jun-00 333 12-jun-00I want the count to be four. Can I put a distinct on two fields: account number and date?
Yes, you can put DISTINCT on two fields. So for your example, if you want the distinct account number and month, you might try a query as follows:
SELECT DISTINCT acctnbr,TO_CHAR(day,'MM') as month FROM my_table;
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.