I have an old version Oracle RDBMS 7i. For my purpose, I want to upgrade only SQL*Plus to the new version, not the whole database. If my idea is correct, please guide me how to do it.
You can't upgrade just the SQL*Plus application. But what you can do is to install a new version of SQL*Plus. SQL*Plus also needs Oracle Client software installed, notably the networking components. This can all be installed into a completely different ORACLE_HOME so that it does not interfere with the current Oracle 7 software. Then, you can connect to the Oracle 7 database.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.