I have an Oracle database containing two tables, each with a customer_code field. The tables are linked by a unique_id. How do I update the customer_code field in table1 with the value in table2? I normally work in MSSQL, so the Oracle syntax is very weird :) Any help would be appreciated.
This is straight ANSI SQL standards used here, but an update command might look like (you'll want to use a correlated subquery):
UPDATE table1 t1 SET t1.customer_code=(SELECT t2.customer_code FROM table2 t2 WHERE t1.unique_id=t2.unique_id);
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.