How can I get the number of transactions/second in 8.1.7?
There is quite a debate on what consitutes a transaction in Oracle. Oracle keeps many statistics, but not one that determines "transactions". Most people just count the number of 'user rollbacks' and 'user commits' as seen in V$SYSSTAT. But I contend that this does not count all of the transactions in the database because it does not capture statistics for SELECT queries (which are still transactions). For more information, please read a white paper that I have written on this very subject. You can find a copy of this paper on my Web site at the following URL:
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.