What is a time phased/temporal data warehouse model?
Time phased/temporal alludes to one of the fundamental characteristics of a data warehouse: the time variant characteristic. This means in simple terms, that a historical record of data is retained in the data warehouse architecture, AND that historical data is maintained in context of the time-frame in which the data values were in effect. All multi-dimensional modeling (star schemas), which is a popular way to model data marts (although NOT the only way), ALWAYS have TIME as a dimension. In the atomic level of the data warehouse architecture, TIME will be designed for as a means to capture business elements and events that need to be retained in context of the point in time in which that change took place. An example of this might be where your company wishes to track the different "states" a purchase order may go through and are interesting in the time-lags between changes in "state" and/or durations within a specific "state."
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an DW tip to offer your fellow administrators and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical data warehousing questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle data warehousing
Related Q&A from Mike Lampa
When trying to design a data warehouse, we often try to model the database on the operational data model. Are there any guidelines in trying to ... Continue Reading
What is a surrogate key in a table? Continue Reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.