What do you think is the future of Oracle? I have completed my enginnering in computer and want to go for an Oracle DBA post. What do you think, should I go for it and make it my future career, or in which other technology I should go for?
I think being an Oracle DBA is really rewarding. It can be a highly demanding job, but I feel that this is part of the exciting challenge of being a DBA. But I choose this path for myself and I am really happy with it. It is an exciting and rewarding job, IMHO.Only you can decide for yourself if this is the path you want to go down. To help you make this decision, I suggest you install a database on a test machine at home. You can get a free copy of Oracle from Technet ( http://technet.oracle.com). You'll have to register with the Web site, but it's free. Then download the database software and install it. Play with it and see how you like it. You can also go to a local bookstore (such as Barnes and Noble) and look at the many Oracle DBA books on the market. Look through the books to see if this is the type of work that will interest you. Finally, see if you can find some local DBAs who you can talk to. Find out what they like/dislike about their job. See if it is a fit for you.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available here.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.