What is the easiest method for backing up and restoring a database on Personal Oracle 8? Export/Import? Also, why...
won't the Enterprise Manager work with it?
The easiest method to backup and restore a database in any version of Oracle is to perform a cold backup. Shutdown the database. Then use OS commands to copy the database datafiles to a new location. Then startup the database. To restore, simply shutdown the database. Then use OS commands to copy the backup datafiles to their original locations. Starting the database completes the recovery.
Oracle Enterprise Manager should work with Personal Oracle. Are you have specific difficulty? You might want to post any relevant errors messages to get the problem solved.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.