Is there any way in Oracle to restrict the user from doing his normal operations like insert, delete, drop etc. at an application level (ie as soon as he types his query, it would restrict him in SQL*Plus without going to the database)?
Particularly if you want to stop users from doing specific commands in SQL*Plus, you can use the PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE table to build a security mechanism like you mention. See Appendix E of the SQL*Plus User's Guide and Reference for full details.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle and SQL
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.