I have to install Oracle9i RAC on Win and AIX platforms. Can you please tell me what are the steps involved? This...
is the first time I will be installing and creating a 9i RAC database. Getting RAC up and running is not the easiest thing to do. The basic steps are as follows:
1. Set up a shared disk storage area, like a SAN, and attach your database servers to that shared disk.
2. Install cluster interconnect hardware and software on the servers in the cluster. This lets the nodes in the cluster talk to each other.
3. Install the Operating System cluster software if necessary.
4. Install Oracle on each node. When you install Oracle, it will detect the cluster and let you install RAC as well.
5. Create the database on the shared disk.
6. Modify the initialization parameters necessary to support RAC.
7. Start the instance on each node in the cluster.
The above list are the basic steps. But I would highly recommending a thorough read of the Oracle documentation on the subject before undertaking this large task.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.