How can I change the default text editor invoked by Oracle SQL? I just downloaded Textpad, and I want it to be my default text editor. I am using Oracle 9i Release 2.
If your platform is Unix, then set the EDITOR environment variable to point to your new text editor. I have mine set to /bin/vi for the vi editor. If your platform is Windows, then launch SQL*Plus. On the menus, choose Edit->Editor->Define Editor. Then, enter the executable name of the new editor. The directory for this editor must be in your path.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.