We have databases on Oracle version 7.3. Now one of our databases has shifted to Oracle 8i on a Solaris system. Can we communicate between the two versions? We want to send some values through a procedure using DBLINK to the new version, ie to 8i from 7.3. Is it possible or not?
Sure....just create DBLINKs as noted in the Oracle SQL Reference Guide (see CREATE DATABASE LINK).
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.