Can you please explain about schema-based backups? Does it mean all objects in a particular user schema can be backed up? Does the user need to be logged out or without any active sessions for this backup?
The only way in Oracle to do a "schema based backup" is with the export utility and the "OWNER=" parameter. This will dump the entire schema's contents to a dump file. The user does not have to be logged out for this to occur. Keep in mind, that export files cannot be used for rolling forward after the backup has occurred. You will only be able to restore from the dump file, up to the point in time that you took the dump.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.