We have taken delivery of a SQL Server 2000 system, which nightly pumps out data to text files using iSQL. In our data warehouse I am trying to design staging tables for that data to be SQL*Loaded. However I cannot seem to find a definitive list of SQL Server datatypes and their Oracle 8i equivalents. Can you help at all?
I come from an Oracle background and have recently been working on some SQL Server databases. So I needed a document that would map my Oracle concepts with SQL Server concepts to get me up and running quickly. Microsoft has nicely provided such a document titled "Migrating Oracle Databases to SQL Server 2000". This document works going the other way as well. You can find a copy of this document at the following URL:
There is a small section on contrasting SQL Server datatypes with Oracle datatypes.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.