How can I restrict a connection from a client using SQL*Net for a specified schema in the database? The assumption is that if an intruder knows the password for a system user and tries to connect to the database, it must fail. Is it possible through Net8 ASO or any other way?
If you don't want anyone to be able to connect to a particular schema then just revoke the CREATE SESSION privilege. That schema will still be able to own objects in the database, but no one will be able to connect as that user even if they know the password. Typically, users are granted the CONNECT role which contains the CREATE SESSION privilege. So you may have to revoke the CONNECT role as well.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.