I have links set up and can successfully query and write PL/SQL code between two instances. So for example, I can retrieve rows from an Oracle 9i (rel 1) database table and insert them into an Oracle 8i table. However, I run into PLSQL-00453 when I try to write a similar procedure from an 8i to a 9i (rel 2) database. Any idea what might be the issue here?
I'm glad that you got your database links working! It looks like you are running into error PLS-00453. You get this error when you are trying to access a remote table which contains "objects", or user-defined datatypes. This type of operation is not allowed. That is why the error is being raised. You will have to reference tables that do not use user-defined datatypes. Your problem really doesn't have anything to do with the database versions.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.