When I install Oracle9i in Windows 2000, the installation went OK. But when DBCA started to create database, the error message "ORA-12571: TNS:Packet writer failure" was produced. I can not have any database installed in my machine. I really do not know what is wrong. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
You may be experiencing an error shown in Note 112589.1 on Metalink. The suggestion is to modify the registry. Fire up REGEDIT and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE. Then add EPC_DISABLED and set the value to TRUE.
Another thing you can try is to change your SQLNET.ORA file to have the following line:
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE)Give those two a try.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.