When i try to connect to my database, I get the ORA-04031 error. Why? I still can connect. I think it is something about the share pool... can you please help me out.
This message is telling you that the Shared Pool does not have enough memory. So you will need to increase the SHARED_POOL_SIZE parameter in your INIT.ORA and restart your database.
If you are running Oracle 8i, then there is a known, common bug, which exhibits itself as the ORA-4031 error and increasing the size of the Shared Pool does not fix the problem. This problem has been fixed in Oracle 22.214.171.124 and Oracle 9i. If this pertains to you, then an upgrade may be in order.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.