I just installed Oracle on NT and can't log in via PSQL. I try to create a service but get the following error when testing the service:
Connecting.... The test did not succeed. ORA-01034: ORACLE not available There may be an error in the fields entered or the server may not be ready for a connection. You can check the server and retry, or continue.
You are getting this error because the database is not up and running. You'll have to start the database. On Windows, this is accomplished by starting a service. Go to Control Panel and click on the Services icon. Scroll down until you see OracleServiceSID where SID is your database identifier. Select it and click Start. Then give it a try again!
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.