- ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 250 in tablespace TEMP
- ORA-04031: unable to allocate 18048 bytes of shared memory ("shared pool","EVENT _HANDLING","PL/SQL MPCODE","BAMIMA: Bam Buffer")
ORA-01652 is caused when Oracle tries to allocate an extent for a temporary tablespace and can't do to lack of space. The solution is to use ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE statement to add one or more files to the tablespace indicated.
ORA-04031 is caused when your shared pool is too small. You need to either increase the shared_pool_size (also note the shared_pool_reserved_size parameter as well) if you have available memory to do so. Otherwise, you can either use the DBMS_SHARED_POOL package to pin large packages or reduce your use of shared memory (for example: make sure to use bind variables in SQL to encourage reuse).
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle error messages
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.