How do I reset rollback segments? While finishing a huge insert, the extents occupied was 100. But after commit, it did not release the space it had occupied, not even after shutting down the database. I am using Oracle 8i on NT. Could you suggest anything? Thanks.
To reset your rollback segments, you will need to set the OPTIMAL parameter on your rollback segments. After your rollback segments have extended and the transactions using the rollback segments have completed, the rollback segment will shrink back to the OPTIMAL size. One can force the RBS to shrink with the following command:
ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT rbs_name SHRINK [TO size];
If the size is not specified, the RBS will shrink to the OPTIMAL size. If the size is specified, eg. 10K or 1M, then the RBS will shrink to that size if possible.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Oracle gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.