Please advise on how to remove an instance and associated tables, indexes, tablespaces, etc.
Removing an instance involves teh following steps:
- Shutdown the database
- Backup the database just in case you need it in the future.
- Delete all datafiles that belong to the database
- Also delete the INIT.ORA file and the password file.
- If on Unix, remove the database entry from your ORATAB file or If on Windows, use the ORADIM utility to remove the database service.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.