Is there a simple way to remove a column from a table. It is relatively easy to add a column or modify a column's datatype, but to rename or remove is quite complex.
It depends entirely on the database engine whether you can directly drop a column or not. Some products will permit it, but most products will not.
The simplest generic workaround is to recreate the table without the offending column. Depending on the complexity of your schema, this can be complex.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Database Design Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your database design -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle and SQL
Related Q&A from Pat Phelan
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.