Which raid level of hard disk should we use when multiplexing in Oracle9i?
RAID does not support multiplexing. RAID 1, however, does support mirroring. Mirroring and multiplexing are two different animals. In mirroring, you have two copies of the same datafile, stored on two different disks. In multiplexing, you have more than one copy of the same information, but they are stored in different datafiles. Control files and online redo logs should be multiplexed. They can be mirrored, but they should always be multiplexed.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.