I am actually looking for a Progress DBA (database administrator), but most of the candidates who applied to this job are Oracle DBAs. I just want to know if Progress and Oracle are similar. What are the differences between them?
All relational databases share common features but each vendor's implementation is different (thus the reason why database vendors fight over "who's best?" all the time). I'm afraid I don't know much about Progress so I can't really compare but a competent Oracle DBA could be cross-trained, in my opinion, much easier than training someone without any experience. But in the end, hiring an Oracle DBA to do a Progress DBA job is certainly not as good for you as if you just hired a person with Progress DBA experience. If you can't find someone with Progress experience, you'll have to weigh the cost of training the new person and the learning curve required before your new hire can really be fully effective.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.