I'm trying to load data into a one-column table using SQL*Loader. The column length is a varchar2(550), but sqlldr rejects data because of "Field in data file exceeds maximum length." But if I insert rows using a query INSERT INTO ... VALUES('... ') it works! What is going on?
The most common cause of this problem is due to whitespace that you can't see. Are you sure that you don't have spaces at the end of the line before the NEWLINE code?
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.