I am having trouble in installing Oracle 8 Personal onto a Windows 2000 machine. Very early in the installation process, when the dependencies for SQL*Net Client are being analyzed, I recieve the following error message
stopsrvc,vrf: Type mismatch in argument '0' when calling 'contains' stopsrvc.vrf: 'STRING' expected when 'LIST' foundAt this point the installation terminates. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
There have been a few problems with Oracle 8 Personal Edition that are identical to yours. Basically, those problems were due to a very old version of Oracle 8 (i.e. 8.0.4) which are not fully supported on Windows 2000. It is probably best to get a copy of Oracle 8.1.7 or 9i for Windows 2000.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.