I use Oracle 8/Developper (personal). While connecting to PL/SQL, I connect by giving the username/password: scott/tiger. But in Developper, while connecting to Database, if we give the username/password: scott/tiger, the system hangs. Should we give the database a name or is this an installation problem? If so, what is the database name for scott/tiger? Also, how do you create a new user?
This sounds like an installation or configuration issue. First, I'd reinstall Oracle Developer and see if that fixes your problem. Then, make sure that your TNSNAMES.ORA file is set up correctly. When you make an alias to your database, try using that alias as the Connect String to your database when you connect with Developer.
The CREATE USER command is used to create a new user. For instance, you can use a command similar to the following:
CREATE USER my_new_user IDENTIFIED BY his_password DEFAULT TABLESPACE user_data TEMPORARY TABLESPACE temp;There are other options as well. Please refer to the SQL Reference manual.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.