We want to migrate database from Oracle 7.3 to 8i. The problem is that the size of the database is 600GB. They'll give only three hours time to migrate. Is it possible to migrate a database of that size to 8i in three hours? If possible, give me the path to migrate.
Since you are going from Oracle 7 to 8i, you will want to use Oracle's migration utility (MIG). Oracle even includes a Data Migration Assistant which is a GUI wizard to help you. With MIG, it doesn't matter how big your database is. A 500MB and a 500GB take nearly the same amount of time to migrate. So you will be able to fit this in to your three hour window.
Before you perform the migration may I suggest that you fully test the process on a test server. This way, you can spot your problems before your real migration. Also backup your production database before and after you migrate to the new version.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.