I had a DBA tell me that a PUBLIC synonym is much more expensive than a PRIVATE synonym. Is using a public over private really going to make a difference in system performance?
There is no definitive answer to this question. The answer is "it all depends". Well known Oracle expert Steve Adams talks about this on his Web site.
In the article at this link, there is a case where a public synonym actually performs better than a private synonym. But in the article at this link, Steve explains that public synonyms require some dependency tracking that private snyonyms do not. This can cause a performance problem, but only as the application scales. In most cases, the performance between a public and a private synonym will be negligable. Only you can tell for sure in testing your specific application in your specific environment.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our applications, PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.