szAppName : oradim.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : msvcrt.dll szModVer : 7.0.2600.2180 offset : 000360c1The listener and agent cache are both running fine. The error started while I was trying to import a database dump into my database. Please help!
Review the oradim.log file on the database server. This may give you more of an indication what oradim is complaining about. You can re-create the service to see if this resolves the problem. Step-by-step instructions can be found here.
To use ORADIM utility to create an instance, enter:
oradim -NEW -SID SID | -SRVC service_name [INTPWD password][-MAXUSERS number][-STARTMODE auto | manual][-PFILE filename] [-TIMEOUT secs]where:
- -NEW indicates that you are creating a new instance. This is a mandatory parameter.
- -SID SID is the name of the instance to create. You must specify either this parameter or parameter -SRVC.
- -SRVC service_name is the name of the service to create (OracleServiceSID). You must specify either this parameter or parameter -SID.
- -INTPWD password is the password for the new instance. This is the password for the user logged in with SYSDBA privileges. Option -INTPWD is not required. If you do not specify it, then operating system authentication is used, and no password is required.
- -MAXUSERS number is the number of users defined in the password file. The default is five.
- -STARTMODE auto, manual indicates whether to start the instance automatically or manually at startup. Default is manual.
- -PFILE filename is the initialization parameter file to be used with this instance. Ensure that you specify the complete path name of this file, including drive letter.
- -TIMEOUT secs sets the maximum time to wait (in seconds) before the service for a particular SID stops.
To create an instance called PROD, for example, you might enter:
C:> oradim -NEW -SID prod -INTPWD mypassword1 -STARTMODE auto -PFILE C:oracleadminprodpfileinit.ora
Dig Deeper on Oracle database backup and recovery
Related Q&A from Maria Anderson
Can I use /var/opt/oracle/oratab to specify listener information? Continue Reading
We would like to migrate our database from Oracle 8.1.7 to Oracle 10g. We would like to know the impact for our application developed using Delphi ... Continue Reading
I have been trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 on SUSE Linux 9.0 and got the error: "Error in invoking target install of makefile /opt/oracle/...../*.mk." Continue Reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.