I have upgraded from 8.1.7 to 9.2 in AIX 5.1, but when I started SQL*Plus and entered the user and password, this error appeared to me:
ORA-01034: Oracle not available ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist. IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error:2: No such file or directory.
That message simply means that Oracle is not started. You either didn't get the database started back up yet or it's still in progress. When the database is actually started and running, you shouldn't get that message.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our applications, PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle error messages
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.