I've setup Oracle8i on Sun Solaris 5.7 and had an error while creating DB:
"ORA-01034: ORACLE not available"
Can anybody advise me?
Your problem is that the database is not up and running, or your environment variables are pointing to a database that is not running. To verify that your database is up and running, type 'ps -ef|grep smon'. You should see a process called 'ora_smon_sid' running where "sid" is your database identifier. If the database is not running, start it. If the database is running, then check that your environment variables (ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, etc.) are all correct.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.