Can anyone kindly explain what mutative triggers are in Oracle?
A mutating trigger occurs in Oracle when the table that originally fired the triggering event is being accessed in the body of the trigger code, directly or implicitly in a procedure, or in a nested trigger called from the trigger body.
This action is forbidden because the table is in middle of a transaction, and referencing the same table again in the middle of the updating action causes the trigger to mutate.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Eli Leiba are available here.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.