We have an application that uses Oracle 8.1.6. The application consists of a database server and a Web sever. The database server is on the Intranet and the application is accessed via the Intranet for administrative purposes via NIC 1, IP 10.250.1.55. The Web server is on the DMZ. The database server talks to the Web server on NIC 2, IP 192.168.1.15. Adminisrative tasks are not allowed from the Web server. There is a single database instance that needs to be accessible from either NIC. How do I set up multiple listeners (different IPs, same port) to the same database? I have been able to get one path or the other to work, but not both.
You'll need to configure two listeners. Name one normally (LISTENER) and give the other a different name (LISTENER2).
LISTENER = (DESCRIPTION_LIST = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0)) ) (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.250.1.55)(PORT = 1521)) ) ) ) LISTENER2 = (DESCRIPTION_LIST = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0)) ) (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.15)(PORT = 1521)) ) ) )You may also need to add the instance to the SID_LIST_LISTENER entry in listener.ora:
SID_LIST_LISTENER = (SID_LIST = (SID_DESC = (GLOBAL_DBNAME = oradb) (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\ora8i) (SID_NAME = oradb) ) ) SID_LIST_LISTENER2 = (SID_LIST = (SID_DESC = (GLOBAL_DBNAME = oradb) (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\ora8i) (SID_NAME = oradb) ) )
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our applications, PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.