I am a new DBA, and I have to modify a table to include three columns; one of them should be a BLOB. How do I create the BLOB column, and how will the Programmer in Visual Basic version 6.0 be able to insert the "bitmap pictures" and retrieve it?
To add a new column to an existing table, use the following command:
ALTER TABLE table_name ADD (column_name datatype);
For a BLOB column, the datatype is obviously BLOB.
No matter which development environment you are using, you will need to be able to select/insert/update/delete large objects. This topic is big enough to devote an entire manual to it! I suggest that you get an account on Oracle Technet which has all of the Oracle documentation. Specifically, you want to read the Oracle8i Application Developer's Guide - Large Objects (LOBs) and the relevant section on your development platform (C OCI, OLE, etc.).
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Oracle guru is waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.