If the existing system is too huge that it seems to be a painstaking job to migrate the entire schema, stored procedures and triggers manually, then would the Oracle Transparent Gateways serve the purpose of getting Oracle Environment benefits without actually creating the schema and retaining the existing one in the Informix Dynamic Server 7.3 itself?
The Oracle Transparent Gateways will let you use database links to connect an Oracle database to another vendor's RDBMS platform (i.e. Informix, DB2, etc.). Many sites use Transparent Gateways and Heterogeneous Services to connect their Oracle database to older, legacy systems. This lets them accomplish exactly what you are asking. They can use the existing Informix system without going through the painstaking process of migrating a schema, stored procedures, triggers, etc. to Oracle. So you are on the correct track!
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Oracle gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.