How can we migrate Access and FoxPro tables and data into Oracle?
If you want to get real fancy, you can visit Technet and download a copy of the Oracle Migration Workbench. This is a wizard-driven tool which lets you migrate from one database system to Oracle. The list of systems you can migrate from include MS Access.
Unfortunately, FoxPro is not listed. Probably the easiest option is to use whatever tools are available in FoxPro to dump the tables to a set of files, comma-delimited or otherwise. Then, use Oracle's SQL*Loader utility to load these files into the Oracle database. This also works for MS Access if you do not wish to use the Migration Workbench.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.