I need to migrate a whole database from one Oracle to another on a different server. Both are version 8.1.7. The Oracle Data Migration Assistant gives me an error if I try to do this ("You already have version 8.1.7"). Am I on the right track or is there another tool to do this job?
Since both are version 8.1.7, this is not a migration. It sounds like all you want to do is to "copy" a database from one server to another. This can be done simply enough by using export and import. All you need to do is make sure the database you are copying to has the appropriate tablespaces created (to match the source database) and then do a full export on your source database and then a full import to your target. That's it. There are other ways to do this (using transportable tablespaces for instance). I suggest you look at the Oracle documentation in the Utilities Reference for more details on export/import and the various options available.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database export, import and migration
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.