Is it required to maintain the archive log? If I have a valid backup of the full database up to 9 p.m., and my...
daatabase failed at 12 p.m., and I have the archive log of three days' data, and up to this second a valid archive log... in this case, for recoving a database is the old archive backup (from the date of database creation) required or not?
In order to recover the database, you'll need your most current backup and all archived logs generated since that backup. The system will not use archived logs older than your backup for recovery. This assumes you want to recover as much data as possible.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.