How can the OCI client (Oracle 8.1.7) be installed on my machine? Is this on the Oracle Client CD, and which option should I choose to install it? I'm using TOAD's Java Manager to load Java programs into the database (8i) but it needs the OCI client. We're configured with the thin client only.
The OCI client can be installed from both the Oracle 8i Client CD and the Oracle 8i RDBMS CD. To make it simple for the Oracle 8i Client CD, choose the Application User option to install. This will install everything you need for OCI to work properly. If you are installing from the Oracle 8i RDBMS CD, then choose Client Tools, then Application User.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.