I am a new to the database development area. I have good Microsoft Access skills at the moment, and I want to go on to a higher DBMS. I have chosen Oracle. Can I install the Oracle software on my PC for the training? What is the cheap way? thank you for any help.
You can download a copy on-line or order a CD pack for Oracle which you can install and use for 30 days. It is an evaluation version and would allow you to experiment with the full functionality of the product. You could also buy a copy of Oracle Personal Edition for around $400. Personal Edition will not have all the advanced features you find in the Standard and Enterprise versions, but as its name implies, it is for "personal" use and should fill your needs quite nicely.
The Personal version can be installed on a workstation whereas the higher versions require a more robust OS (NT, 2000, Unix, Linux and so on).
You can find out more information on Trial Version software at the following link: http://oraclestore.oracle.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10388
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database installation, upgrades and patches
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.