I have a column LONG RAW in a table and I need to insert data in to this table. How can I do that? (I'm using SQL and Oracle 8i on Windows.)
If you stay with long raw, you can enter data only via C or VB or some other programming language that updates the data into the Oracle column.
However if you're using 8i, try converting the long raw column to a BLOB using the TO_LOB function, and then insert the data using the DBMS_LOB package into the BLOB column.
This only involves Oracle software inside Oracle database without any external programming languages.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Eli Leiba are available here.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.