I need to export from user name 'A' from a production database and import it to a development database with a different user name 'B' and a different tablespace. My questions are:
- Do you have very detailed step-by-step procedure?
- Are there tricky parts or any special attention needed?
This is a pretty common procedure, which isn't too hard to accomplish. So here is a step-by-step guide.
- Export the entire schema from production:
exp userid=system file=user_a.dmp log=user_a.log owner=a
- FTP the dump file (in BINARY mode) to the development server.
- Make sure user B exists in your development instance.
- imp userid=system file=user_a.dmp log=imp.log fromuser=a touser=b
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.